About Us > History of Saint Charles School

Saint Charles School was founded in 1888, in the four classrooms downstairs from the church, which occupied the upper floor of the current building. When the new church was built in 1929, the upper floor was remodeled into the current floor plan. The school was staffed by Holly Cross Sisters form 1888 to 1979, by Dominican Sisters of the Philippines from 1979 to 1982, and by Dominican Sister of the Most Holy Rosary of the Philippines from 1982 to the present, along with dedicated lay teachers. Education for the youth of our community has been happening within these walls for 125 years, and our building is a San Francisco Historical landmark.